Friday, May 13, 2011

MOOSE

Friday the 13th May, 2011

I couldn't write in my Blog last night. The blog guy was performing maintenance and must have been on a long coffee break when I was trying to write and kept telling me he was hurrying but I don't think he really was so I gave up and went to bed.
Drats, it was a bad day. It started as a great day. Katie made breakfast and Davy made Latte's. It was a beautiful sunny day. Liam, Katie's middle boy (3 yrs old) wouldn't let me leave until he got a ride on the motorcycle so I took him for a couple turns around the driveway and we had a photo session. I started off for Lake Winnipesaukee on the back roads as normal. As you have read previously, Vermont doesn't have secondary roads. They have cow paths and potholes which they paint black with yellow lines to humor drivers. But New Hampshire and Maine somehow picked up on this. After the Lake I was going to stop in Sanford Me to have lunch with Bob Therrien who was my roommate at Nichols my freshman year. After four hours of being thoroughly beaten by these poor roads I had to give up. I was afraid things were going to start falling off the bike. As it is, my XM radio has stopped working. So after a nice lunch and a good chat with Bob, I got on the Interstate for the rest of the trip to Waterville.
I have a couple hypotheses about the roads. 1..the politicians have spent or pocketed all the transportation money or 2...if you don't pay your taxes they don't take care of the road in front of your house. You can drive for miles and the roads are good then all of a sudden they are absolutely terrible for thirty miles.. As the day went on today they got better. I think the North of Maine might be more affluent then the South. Kinda like what we see since the Civil War. Enough about roads except one more thing. As you are riding along you see this big yellow sign that says "MOOSE". I saw a lot of them but no Moose so I didn't pay much attention. Well, around 3PM I saw this Moose sign and about 500 yards further around a corner here was this giant Moose coming out of the woods with a little Moose in trail only the little Moose was pretty big, if that gives you some sense on how big the big Moose was. She was not running, rather a slow amble as if she had pushed the pedestrian button on 42nd St and she knew it was her turn to cross. Believe me, I also knew it was her turn and made no move to interfere or hurry her along. Believe you me, the Honda Goldwing has great brakes and I used all of them. The remainder of the trip to Caribou Me. I kept my eyes peeled for any other creatures. I am now in my motel room at the Caribou Inn having a cocktail. What was a good day today has just soured since I checked the weather for the next few days with my entrance into New Brunswick, Canada They are calling for rain tonight and for the next four days which might make for some interesting travel. Maybe I'll have another cocktail.
That's it for today. No pictures. I thought about taking some pictures of the potholes but there were just too many. Saw some great sights today. Hope y'all had a good day

No comments:

Post a Comment