Wednesday, May 18, 2011

HALLELUIAH

























































18 May,2011


Yesterdays ride was sooooo bad I couldn't get excited and write about it. I left Tignish, Prince Edward Island earlyin the morning. The temp was 39 deg., pouring rain and 20 kts of wind. The Canooks say they have had over three weeks steady of this weather and they are really tired of it. I road probably 120 KM's to Charlottetown and it rained all the way. 15 miles past Charlotte the temp jumped from 39 to 50, I was ecstatic, I thought I was in "Hog Heaven". I wanted to jump off the bike and throw on the shorts. Then the downpour started again and I was forced to realize that I was a "fer piece" from "Hog Heaven".

Today I woke up in Pictou Nova Scotia. I looked out the window and saw the roads were dry. It was still overcast and cool,41 deg. but no rain. I packed up and rode down to Sharon's Cafe on Front St. for a good breakfast. Got into discussion with a group of nice locals and ended staying there for ninety minutes learning about this little town of Pictou. Then I got on the bike and rode down Front St and took the above pictures of the harbor. Then I headed south for Halifax and the Canadian Air Force Base at Shearwater. On the way I went through the little town of Brookfield. As some of you know I grew up in a small town in CT called Brookfield so I had to ride around and check out the town. And there was the Brookfield Lumber Yard. As my brothers Howie and Gus will remember, we had a Brookfield Lumber on Route 7. I believe the owners son went to high school with Gus. They lived on Pocono Road just before St. Joseph's church and next to Billy Corbin. I'll be dammed but I can't remember his name although I remember him showing me his wood lathe in the basement. Anyway, it brought back lots of fun memories. Right behind his house was a large pond where we used to ice skate at night with big bonfires lighting up the whole area. I got to Shearwater and had reservations for the Officers Mess made for me by Leftenant Tyrone Grande, a really nice guy. The Officers Mess at Juno Towers is a 14 story bldg. and the rooms are really nice. Had a beer at the bar and tossed a few darts but it was obvious I was a rookie. Great dinner and now I just made my motel reservations in Yarmouth, about 205 miles tomorrow. As I was riding down today I was reflecting on the fact that in the past five days of bad weather I had not seen a single motorcycle on the road. Is it possible they know something I'm not aware of. Can't possibly be. They must just be busy doing other things.

Not a bad day, Good night to all!!!!!

























1 comment:

  1. Pulled up a map and traced your travels for the last two days. Hope the trip back over the Confederate Bridge this time was better than the trip going out.

    ReplyDelete