Wednesday, September 16, 2015

16 Sept. 2015

Good evening folks!  Another sterling day on the highways and byways of the Shenandoah Valley.  It was a little warmer starting out this morning.  Had a nice breakfast and was on the road around 0830.  Almost all the places I rode through today were colonial towns and heavily involved in the civil war.  I was happy to see that a lot of homes were still flying the confederate flag and I applaud them.  No confederate flag has ever killed anyone.  It does represent some 100,000 you men and boys who gave their lives for their beliefs.  Your beliefs may not be the same as their's but that's the beauty of this country, supposedly your beliefs are sacred.  I fought under the Marine Corps flag.  God help the poor dumb sombitch who tries to tell me I can't fly my Marine Corps flag.  Enough said.  I went thru a small town, MT. Jackson.  I had to stop and take a couple pictures.  Again, my picture taking cannot do justice to the scenery I am seeing but they refurbished the old train station into town offices.  There is also the old fashioned band stand and a green.  It brought back many memories of my childhood growing up in Brookfield and going to grammar school in New Milford.  New Milford had an expansive green and just about in the middle was a bandstand and in the spring, summer and fall in nice weather on Sundays bands would perform playing martial music.  Those were the days.  Here are the pictures of the train station...............



My next stop was the small, beautiful town of Edinburgh and it's mill.  I stopped to see it but it wasn't going to open for another hour so I took some pictures and moved on.  It is an impressive site and there was an impressive home right next to it.

From Edinburg I rode on to Woodstock, another beautiful, small colonial town and best known as the home of Massanutten Military Academy.  I stopped in at the Woodstock Café, got a great cup of coffee and sat outside watching people.  I was told that during the Civil War the students marched from the school and took up positions to protect the town from the "Yankees".  I refrained from telling them I was a "Yankee"
From Woodstock I rode through Toms Brook, a civil war town and on to Front Royal.  I checked out Chester St. which is supposed to be the oldest street in Front Royal and also the location of the Baithis House, the oldest home on Chester St.  Also there was the Belle Boyd Cottage in the same area.  Belle Boyd was a spy for the Confederate Army.

My next stops were White Post and then on to Stephens City which was known for the wagon industry and the craftsmen who built the wagons.  I was on Main Street and just happened to pass Granny's Kitchen, a little diner that probably sat no more than thirty people.  I did a U turn and went back.  Granny's special for the day was Pot Roast, potatoe's and carrots and green beans.  What a great lunch.  I wanted a nap but had to press on.  The next stop was 15 Tannery Lane and the Burwell-Morgan Mill.  This mill dates back to 1785 and is one of a very few mills that has an interior waterwheel that allows millers to grind nearly year-round.  It's amazing to see all this machinery and it's made totally out of wood.


 
 
I rode some great back roads and saw some beautiful scenery getting to the Burwell-Morgan Mill.  After the mill I was ready to call it a day.  The temp. had gotten up to 82 and I was ready for a cocktail.  Another great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment