Monday, September 14, 2015

14 Sept., 2015

Another beautiful day to ride the Shenandoah Valley.  I got up at 0600 and firt thing I did was check the weather.  I was shocked, Rocky Mount VA was presently 47 degrees.  I did bring a warm jacket and gloves but it's no fun riding in the cold.  By 0845 it was 58 degrees and sunny so I hopped aboard the Goldwing and off we went.  my route today included Boones Mill, and then to Bedford which included a ride to the summit of the Legendary Peaks of Otter which are two very tall mountain peaks on the Blue Ridge Parkway.   But, I get ahead of myself because on the way to Bedford I stopped in Hardy VA to visit the Booker T. Washington Museum.  It was extremely interesting and very educational.  Being a Monday in mid Sept. I was the only customer there and sat in a theatre to watch a 15 minute video on Booker's life.  The museum is on the Burroughs Tobacco Farm which despite it's small size Booker always referred to it as a plantation.  He was an amazing individual who succeeded during very hard times because he wanted education and once he got it he wanted to pass it on to all who would come to obtain it.  The bottom line; through hard work and dedication he built what is now the Tuskegee Institute.  I was blown away when I saw the below advertisement for the sale of Negroes.  I don't know if I have the right words for it but it was just so casual as if, oh, if you're not busy on Saturday, we're gonna auction off a bunch of Negroes.  Y'all come and have a good time.
 
Well, enough of that but it was a worthwhile stop.  Next stop was Buchanan for lunch.  It was a quaint, small mountain town.  I rode up the main street and saw the Buchanan movie theatre which was the old 40"s & 50's type theatre.  I stopped a woman and asked..............if I was a regular in this town and was going to lunch, where would I go?  She pointed across the street to what looked like a 50's diner and said, right there.  She was right and the food and atmosphere was outstanding.  As I drove out of town I spotted this interesting home and had to stop to take a picture.
 
 
From there I was off to see the famous Natural Bridge in where do you think, Natural Bridge Virginia.  I was a little shocked at the tab to visit the Natural Bridge, $20 minus $2 for my service to the country but it was an awesome site when you know it was cut out strictly from water power.
 
 
After the natural bridges my next stop was going to be the Amish Cupboard in Buena Vista VA.  What a bummer, they didn't look Amish and didn't dress Amish and sold stuff you could get in most grocery stores.  So I left there and headed to Lexington which is my stop for the night.
 
All in all it was a great day with no intrusions from deer or buzzards.  I was hoping I'd see a Black Bear while traveling to the Peaks of Otters but no luck.
 
My cocktail seems to be better than normal tonight and now I will be off to dinner.  Hope y'all had a great day.  Mine was fantastic.
 
Toz

No comments:

Post a Comment