Tuesday, September 15, 2015

15 Sept. 2015

Brrrrrrr!!  Got a wake up at 0600 this morning.  First thing, check the local weather.  It was 48 but climbing and was forecast to be sunny with a high of 77.  That's my kind of weather.  So I took my time, packed up, had breakfast and then packed the trailer.  Got on my coat and launched at 0830.  My first stop was Raphine and the Cyrus McCormick Farm.  For all you history buffs, Cyrus McCormick was the inventor of the McCormick Reaper.  I was the only person at this exhibit.  There was supposed to be a blacksmith working which is what I was really looking forward to seeing but he wasn't there.  As a matter of fact, no one was there.  All the buildings were unlocked and could be visited but there was no one there to tell you what you were looking at.


 
The building on the left is where Cyrus McCormick invented and built his first Reaper.  The mill on the right was built by his father to provide the family with corn meal and flour.
 
 
 
Next stop was historic downtown Waynesboro which was very picturesque.  As I turned onto W. Boone St., there was a fire house on the right and around eight firemen working on one of their trucks.  As I approached they apparently saw my Marine Corps flag and a couple shouted Semper Fi which I responded to and then stopped to talk with them.  It was just about lunch time and I was asked to join them at one of their local hangouts which served great burgers and some really good beer.  A lot of sea stories were told and a great deal of camaraderie was enjoyed.  It's always great to be amongst a bunch of Marines.
From there I was off on a really great ride through Grottoes and Elkton and on to Swift Run Gap and one of the entrances to the Skyline Drive  I took some pictures but pictures or at least the pictures I take cannot portray the exceptional beauty of the countryside.





 
 


Next it was the Skyline Drive for 40 miles at 35 MPH.  It was beautiful.  When I went through the gate at the start of the skyline drive, the temp was 75.  When I got to the top of the drive the temp was 64 degrees.  35 was a great speed to look all around and see the sights.  The ranger at the start of the drive said to watch out for wild turkey, deer and black bears and that was the reason for the 35 MPH speed limit..  I never saw a turkey, deer or black bear.  I guess I only see them when I'm driving on a highway at 55 and don't have time to stop.
From there it was an easy drive through Luray and on to New Market VA which is where I am spending the evening and enjoying my cocktail.  It was another great day traveling the Shenandoah Valley.

 


 



 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment